Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Did you just say DOG????!!! NO THANK YOU... I'll stick to DUCK with a C..K..

A couple of weeks ago Inge and I were invited out to eat with our fellow teachers to celebrate or NOT (cause we didn't win) teacher's sports day. The teachers in the school had a big volleyball tournament. It included elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools in our province,Yangpyeong. We loved the idea of leaving school early, watching the intensity of the game, and getting free,"expensive" food provided by the school. Before we left the school Helen, my co teacher told me that we were going to have eel for dinner which I was ok with since I regularly eat eel sushi and enjoy it very much. I was kinda excited to see how they were going to prepare the eel. But what I didn't know was that I was in for a surprise. I will explain the 'surprise' in a bit...

As we walked into the school in Yanpyeong where the tournament was taking place all I could hear was grunting and yelling and the beat of a drum. I almost thought I was entering an African ritual dance, but instead i witnessed the not so thin elementary school teacher with daisy dukes on yelling over the net, and a cluster of teachers yelling and beating the drum as to motivate the stellar volleyball team. Unfortunately the drums or the yelling didn't work and they completely bombed the game... oh well that meant dinner was coming sooner than anticipated I was happy! As we packed up said our goodbyes to the teams still remaining Helen walks toward Inge and I, she tells me that there has been a mistake with what she had told me earlier that day. We weren't having eel we were having "dok and dok" (the 'G' in korean also makes a k sound sometimes I get confused) so we need to choose... I said duck sure that's fine I don't mind duck I've had it maybe twice in my life but thats ok with me. I also asked her why did u say it twice are they cooked 2 different ways??? she says No, NO, NO... "dok and dok" like quack quack! and woof, woof!

At this point my jaw dropped and I couldn't help but feel sick to my stomach. It was like... like.. me trying to have my dog Bella for dinner! After a few seconds and trying to wipe the look of my face I told her that Duck with 'u.c.k', the one that makes a quacking noise is what I prefer. She looked at me laughed and told me that she felt the same. At which point I was relieved to know that someone, a Korean felt the same. I am not trying to bash anyone for eating dog it's something that they've been doing for many years, and they actually raise them just for eating purposes... but you will NOT catch me taking a bite of it. It just goes against my moral beliefs... dogs for me are special they don't belong on my table with a bunch of sides and dipping sauce...

Smile ^-^
Rosibelle


The volleyball team


The D.O.G. side of the table... notice all the men apparently dog gives you stamina..


The D.U.C.K side of the table


Some of the teachers cooking their duck in the skillet


Our duck... it was good I made sure to ask a couple more times whether it was duck or dog. Didn't want to eat it by "accident".


Inge and i went on a walk and she took pics of me... she's a very good photographer!


P.E. teacher with his daisy dukes

Inge and I chatting away with the P.E. teacher


We took a stroll up a hill to a Buddhist temple with the principal, P.E. teacher and another elementary school teacher. The principal and P.E. teacher bowing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers